Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Happy Independence Day!

Our week working in Collique at the OSA center went by way too fast! We had a wonderful week and fell in love once again with the precious kids. We worked with a morning group of kids and an afternoon group of kids, so it was a little more difficult to learn names as quickly. The children were so eager to see us everyday, sometimes they would already be waiting outside the door when we arrived... thirty minutes before they were allowed in. If we arrived late (one day we had a new driver and got pretty lost) they would all be sitting at tables and would begin to bang on the tables and cheer as we walked in. So sweet! I seriously d0nt think I will ever receive more kisses on the cheek than in that week. When they came in all 80 children would kiss me on the cheek and then when we split into groups they would kiss me on the cheek everytime they entered and left the classroom I taught in. The children at the OSA house were truly precious and beautiful. We started each morning and afternoon session off with lots of singing and praising. Then the children were split into three groups that would rotate through bible study, crafts and games. Every day they learned a new memory verse and were excited to hear God's Word. They are so open to truth. They were a little confused about grace though. They thought you had to work for forgiveness or that God would forgive you for sinning, but just one time. This bothered me a lot! On our final day, we had planned a small party. The children were waiting outside the OSA house two hours before they were allowed in that day and began to scream and shout at 11:02 because we said the party would begin at 11:00! They were treated to a story acted out by Julie, Bingo (their favorite game ever), games, face painting, music, popcorn, sodas, candy and dancing. They also received some presents, we put together some school packs for the children that included a notebook, ruler, pencils, sharpener, erasers, pens and scissors. They were so thankful and happy! Before the children left we were able to share why we came, how thankful we are for them and their sweet hearts, and also had a time for testimonies. This was the first time I have every shared my testimony through a translator. An experiance I will never forget. We shared that Jesus died on the cross for our sins and that His gift of forgiveness is a free gift. That there is nothing we could do to earn God's love. We used the verse Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." We hope that they know in their hearts that Jesus loves them just as they are, imperfections and all, and that they do not have to work to earn his love. We said our goodbyes and were covered in hugs and kisses for the last time by the children of Collique.

Saturday was the last day we have worked. On Sunday we got to go to Julie's church, an awesome experiance. It was so neat to worship and sing songs in Spanish. I beleive Jame's would refer to this as a Velvet Elvis moment. We were welcomed so warmly and got to go out to lunch with some of Julie's friends. Pepi drove us to a delicous Italian restaurant and blared opera the whole way there. We had huge dishes of pasta and were serenaded by an African woman with a voice like no other. We were all in agreement that we had never heard anything so beautiful in all our lives. All she had was a drum and her deep, soulful voice. I also had the priveledge of getting to know one of Julie's best friends, Jannina. She is a missionary who works for Food for the Hungry International. She actually grew up in the jungle, but has lived in Lima for the past 10 years. She had the coolest stories to tell and has done a lot of work recently with disaster releif in Chincha. There was a huge earthquake there last August. She works to help people who are in need through a wholistic approach while sharing Christ. It is beautiful. I asked her at least a million questions. I am obcessed with people who grew up in the jungle, we have met a few people and they all have the neatest stories. I was very ignorant to the jungle before meeting my new friends, there are cities in the jungle. Who knew? The people dress just like us, they have doctors, grocery stores and the most beautiful scenary ever. She grew up in Iquitos and came to Christ because of some missionaries who owned a houseboat that sailed up and down the Amazon. The rest of the afternoon was spent doing some shopping and we went about exploring Lima more. I now feel very guilty for saying somewhat negative remarks about how big and busy the city is. We are all starting to feel at home in Lima and it really is a lovely place. I would now be deeply offended if I heard someone say anything bad about Lima. Monday was Independence Day, and in Peru the celebrations are carried over to the next day. I think America should adopt this tradition. Due to the holidays, we have been unable to visit any homes for the past two days. We have felt more like toursits than missionaries. It has been nice to explore during the day instead of trying to go out at night after our busy days at the center when we are all exhausted though. I feel like I am getting to experiance the culture a lot more. Yesterday, we went to an Indian market and I think I found a souveneir for every person I have ever known. When I said I knew how to bargain a little, I lied. I learned from the master, Julie. She talked them down so low on things I almost felt guilty, I would slip an extra sole in when she wasnt looking. Everyone listens to Julie and no one messes with her. When she tells me to do something, I do it and I do it very quickly. She is great and so much fun. She has also taught us what to do when taxi drivers try to rip us off. We are supposed to exclaim in the most offended voice, "Do you think we look like Americans? Do you think we are tourists?" We never do this, we just run and get her and she settles everything. We have been sampling more of Peru's amazing cuisine. Our favorite restaurant is Cafe Cafe. They have delicious coffee, desserts and dinners. My favorite Peruvian meal is Lomo Saltado. It consists of strips of beef sauteed with onions, tomatoes and peppers. It is served with rice and potatoes and is absolutely divine. To make sure I fully experianced Peru, my fellow interns took me out for churros tonight. So yummy! They are these long pastries that you dip in melted chocolate. I was all wrong about the food here too. I thought there would be tacos, burritos, nachos, fajitas, you know everything on the menu at a mexican restaurant. Stupid, stupid, stupid. You can't find anything like that here. For breakfast they serve ommelettes, fruits, olives, cheeses, advocados, and ham. For lunch they usually serve big meals but you can find sandwhiches as well. A peruvian hamburger would have eggs and plantains on top. A popular sandwhich is made with hardboiled eggs and advocados. We are going to try to sample Peru's national dish soon which is Ceviche. It is raw fish marinated in Peru's highly acidic limes.

Today was one of the best days we have had here. We were invited to a cookout at Jannina's apartment. There was about 15 or 20 people there and we had the best time meeting all of her cool friends. The amount of Americans outnumbered the Peruvians, kinda funny. Most of the Americans there were long term missionaris though and have lived in Lima for years. The interns were the first to arrive so we got to spend a lot of time looking at her pictures of her trips, life in the jungle, and her family. Then she put us to work. I learned how to take a part a grill, clean it, put it back together and then start the fire. This created lots of entertainment, but I felt very efficient when I was all done. I also learned how to make Peruvian guacamole, it is heavenly! We all worked together to assemble shish kabobs. We ate outside with the best company, loud music, great food and dancing. I loved celebrating Peru's Independence day. On the way home we took our first public bus, where no one understands the concept of personal space. It was pretty exciting. I have decided that before coming on another trip to South America, I will have to learn to speak spanish fluently. Everyone you meet who lives here asks you within two minutes if you can speak spanish and then when you say no, they give you this look that is equivelent to the look women in the south wear when they use the expression, "bless her heart." Not good! Speaking of women from the south, does anyone who is in their twenties still use the word pocketbook? I always refer to our purses as pocketbooks and my fellow interns find this to be hilarious. They also think the way I pronounce most words are hilarious, but they dont beleive anyone else under the age of 80 uses the word pocketbook except for me. I am known for asking a million questions everytime I meet a new person (which is often), they call me the question master. They obviously dont know my friend Sara Davis. I am also known for getting lost, losing everything, and never knowing what time it is. They also make fun of me because I am always asking people if they love something. Its like I cant like anything, I either hate it or love it. No in between. Do you love it? Do you love your dinner? Do you love your new jacket? Do you love this song? Its interesting to see what people who have only known you for two weeks notice about you. Julie says my ability to be comfortable in other peoples homes, my love for dancing and music, and the fact that I can talk to anybody means I fit in well in Peru though and thinks I should move here. We shall see. I wouldnt mind living out this culture for a year or two or three. No worries family, not anytime soon.

A couple days ago I lost my camera and my bank card. Ughhhh. Bank card had to be canceled and I had given up on finding my camera. I decided I deserved for it to be gone because this was the second time I had lost it. One time in Cusco I left it on a bus and someone miraculously tracked it down for me. My dear sister promised she would pray for me though that I would somehow get my camera back and after 3 days I got a phone call saying that they would drop it off at the Buckner office tomorrow morning. Hallelujah! Tomorrow we will be working at the buckner office to sort 2,000 pairs of shoes and box them for a upcoming, "Shoes for Orphan Souls" trip. I would love to participate in one of these someday. On Thursday we will finally be back working in the homes! We will work in a teenage mother home. Some of the mothers there are as young as twelve. Please pray that we will devolop strong relationships and that God will use us to share truth, love and joy. I am pretty excited about getting to love on some babies as well! Love you all! Thank you for your prayers! My computer is mad at me and will not allow me to upload any picures on here, but I will keep trying!

3 comments:

Sara said...

oh marianne, don't stop asking questions!!! thanks for the shout out in your precious blog!! I love you so much!!!! i counting the days until i see you on august 29.

Anonymous said...

YAY sister!!! so happy you found your camera. such happy news. once again, a lovely blog that brightened my day completely. i am very excited about your time with those teen moms- i will be praying that God will work in that home and in those hearts. fun times with babies will be good for sure.

speaking of babies, mine looks beat up. a gash on the back of his head and one day later another gash on his forehead. poor little. i give him extra kisses just for you each day. and brent and i pray for you and those wonderful people and children in Peru every single night.

by the way, i'm glad you're new friends appear to appreciate that you are truly one of a kind! love you sissy!

Anonymous said...

Marianne...I am in love with the stories!! I can just hear you telling them as I am reading. I am so excited about the amazing experience you are having! Peru is definitly blessed to have your precious heart over there. I just laugh out loud at all the "Marianne-isms" that everyone is getting to experience. I love you friend!!